In The Backyard
- Simply walking and running in the snow are a good start. Every step requires you to lift your legs higher than usual and you have to work harder to take each step.
- Angels In The Snow. Lie down and open and close those arms and legs to move against resistance.
- Snow Ball Fight! Building, throwing and dodging snow balls are great exercise.
- Build, roll and lift those large snow balls to create a snow man.
- Sledding. Speeding down the hill is always fun, but climbing back up pulling a sled is a great workout.
- Shoveling. Let the kids help shovel the driveway. Every scoop is a great way to workout the whole body.
On The Mountain
- Snowboarding and Skiing. Snowboarding, Downhill skiing and cross-country skiing are great for strengthening, cardio and balance.
- Snow Tubing. Gliding down a hill in a tube requires a lot of stabilization of the body to balance in the tube. There’s also lots of exercise even using a tow line to get back up to the top.
- Snow shoeing. Go for a hike with snow shoes for an excellent all around workout.
We are knee deep in winter right now. Let’s fight the instinct to hibernate indoors and take advantage of the great winter activities that are available to us.