When you make the decision to go gluten-free, casein-free (GFCF), it can be very difficult to stick to it. Why? Well, it is NOT only about going gluten-free and casein-free–it’s about changing your whole approach to eating.
Chemical-filled foods are everywhere. Way too many people are blissfully oblivious and do not read labels, or care about the foods they are consuming. There are increased accounts of various disease and illness, autism, hyperactivity, and mental illness now than ever before!
- Look at the labels. Reading labels will help you notice all the chemicals being added to your foods. Many European and other countries are getting rid of many of the chemicals in foods. America is WAY behind, sad to say. Why? The ever-pressing dollar! It costs more to manufacture natural, healthy and organic foods.
- Examine prices. If you look at prices, you will see some organic or natural items are NOT that much more expensive than chemical-filled foods. Sometimes, at certain stores natural items are even cheaper, than your typical grocery store.
- Become familiar with ingredients. When you buy snacks for your children, don’t just look for No gluten and No casein in the ingredients. There is A LOT more in the ingredient list that you need to be aware of on a label. Would you prefer corn, oil and salt to be the only ingredients in your chips? Or something that reads: whole corn, corn oil, honey BBQ seasoning (salt, maltodextrin, sugar, brown sugar, onion powder, monosodium glutamate, dextrose, honey solids, spices, tomato power, molasses solids, autolyzed yeast, artificial color (including yellow 5 lake, yellow 6 lake, blue 2 lake, red 40, yellow 5, blue 1), Natural and artificial flavors, garlic powder, corn starch, citric acid, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate.) Which would you prefer?
- Learn what ingredients are. Not only do you see a laundry list of artificial dyes in the above chip example but there are ingredients one cannot even pronounce (you won’t find them in spell check either). What exactly are THOSE ingredients? Also, who needs all that sugar? (not only listed as sugar, but disguised as dextrose) Do you see monosodium glutamate??? That means MSG. It causes headaches, skin problems, behavior problems and a host of other undesirable reactions and conditions.
- Think before you buy. The Frito Lay company provides a detailed list of all of their GFCF products. Take your time to browse the various products and read the ingredient labels. Stay away from ingredients that have chemical names, like the many above ingredients you will see on many store packages.