I was very excited when I heard about the Brain Works app, as I really enjoy using apps on my iPad and iPhone, especially apps that can help me in some way. Gwen Wild, OTR/L is the developer and creator of this app. This is an AMAZING app; I am not aware of anything like it available for the iPad or iPhone.
How It Works
When I first accessed the app from my iPad, a message popped up asking if I wanted to watch a video about Brain Works and about how to set it up. I recommend that everyone watch the two videos before beginning, as they are very informative. If I had not watched the videos, I do not think I would have been as successful at using the app.
First I created a pass code, next I created a user, and then I was ready to go. I started reviewing the app and was drawn to it. The app offers many different sensory activities which the individual can complete when he is feeling different ways. The individual first chooses the location which corresponds with his current location: home, school, community, desk or table. Then he selects how he is feeling: just right, slow and sluggish, fast and hyper, or fast and stressed. A timer can be used if desired. A very nice feature that this app has is that a teacher, parent or therapist can customize it to best meet the needs of their child, student, or client. You can delete activities from the app that you do not have the equipment for or that are not age appropriate for your child. You can also add your child’s favorite sensory activities to the app.
Take a Look at Some of the Pre-Programmed Activities
- Change Positions
- Desk Stretches
- Finger Pulls
- Scrub Brush
- Study Place
- Therapy Putty
- Visual Tools
- Air Wedge
- Chewy Tools
- Deep Pressure
- Belly on Ball
My Personal Perspective (Individual With Autism and Sensory Needs)
I am loving this app more and more each and every day. I have a binder that one of my OT’s had made for me with all of my sensory strategies in it. But this app is so much easier to access. I don’t have to carry a book around. In order to look at my sensory strategies, all I have to do is simply get out my iPhone or iPad and touch the app icon. This makes life so much easier. Carrying a book with my sensory strategies in it could make me stand out, but many people carry around iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads, so it feels more socially appropriate. I had always dreamed of a way that I could program all of my sensory strategies on my iPhone, or iPad, but now thanks to Gwen Wild I can stop thinking of ways that I can do this, as she has already created it with her Brain Works app!
My Personal Favorite Features
- The choice to use a timer or no timer.
- The fact that the app can be customized to best meet the needs of the individual using it.
- Many individuals can use the app, each having their own section in the app, which can be customized to them.
- When picking a sensory strategy to use, it first asks the individual where they are, to help them determine what kind of sensory strategy they need/what sensory strategies would be most appropriate for the setting they are in. This helps stress the fact that some sensory strategies are appropriate when done in a specific setting, although it may be less appropriate when done in another setting.
- The ability to add activities and pictures that the individual using the app likes and finds helpful.
- The ability to remove activities that are not appropriate for the individuals age group, activities that do not work for the individual, or that the individual does not enjoy. For example, you would want to remove boppy pillow, stroller, or bottles and sippy cups for an older child.
10 out of 10!
I give this app a 10 out of 10! It is truly amazing! If you work with or are a parent to an individual or individuals with sensory needs, I suggest you go to the app store and get this, so you can see for yourself how amazing it truly is! Enjoy it, I know I do! Search for this app on iTunes